Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Unexpected

It was a winter evening. I was at home enjoying my vacations. My watch was ticking 5 pm. I took my car and went out as I had an appointment with a doctor. My flu was bad.
I sat in the driving seat, had to go alone, slid the key in the key hole and switched the engine on. The car started with a usual hum. I geared it and moved.
As I reached the main road out of the lane, I saw a friend of mine standing with a little sweet girl. The girl must be around 6-7 years of age. I stopped by my friend and asked him, who the kid was. He replied, “She is my Uncle’s daughter. Can you leave her at the Court Crossroads?”
“Sure”, said I. Then, after having a little chat with my friend, I left, as I was getting late for the doctor.
I took the girl with me, and asked her to sit in the seat next to me. She was an amazing kid. She was outstandingly beautiful with immense innocence on her face. I haven’t seen any such a cute kid all my life. I asked her name. “I don’t know”, she replied. I was shocked to hear such an answer from her. My friend’s known person, and at an age of around 7 years she must at least know her name.
Till then, I had reached the Court Crossroads and I asked the girl to get down and where did she have to go now?
“I had to go to Patel Chowk”, she replied. “What? But your Rahul bhaiya said you have to go to Court Crossroads”, I asked her in surprise.
“Who is Rahul bhaiya?”
“Kiddo the guy with whom you were standing when I picked you up.”
“I don’t know him. I met him right there.”
“Whoa. What is that?”, I asked myself. “What is this? Aren’t you his uncle’s daughter?”, I asked her.
“Nope.”
I rang my friend Rahul to I asked him who the girl is. My head was gazing in a turn moil as to what was happening. I had least idea. The phone was out of range. Now, I wasn’t surprised at this. After such a long trail of strange events, this was bound to happen.
“So, fine. Now, tell me who are you? Where are you parents and where do you live? ”, I asked the girl.
“I am an orphan and I live at an orphanage called Krishna Orphanage at the Patel Chowk.”, she replied.
‘Holy Heavens.!!!!!! Such a beautiful creation of the Almighty lives in an orphanage and still she has her natural glow and a face that could keep any human spell bounded. If the other living forms of life other than humans can feel the beauty of God, then they too must be left captivated by a single look at that kid.
I was thinking as to what should I do now? I ask her to sit back in the car and I started to drive not knowing where to head. I was still not completely in my senses as to what has happened in just an hour.
“Fine. Listen kiddo, Patel Chowk is bit far from here. So let me complete my appointment with the doctor, and then I’ll take you there”.
“Ok. As you say.”
I left the girl in the car and bought her a burger presuming she might be hungry. “Have this kiddo, till I come back.”, I said giving her the burger and then I went into the doctor’s clinic.
Waiting for my turn, I rang my friend again. This time the call connected.
“Hello?”, said an unfamiliar voice. “Rahul, is it you?”, I asked. “No, wrong number”, and the call was hung up.
“What the hell Is this happening”, my head ache was soaring badly uptil now.
After having the diagnosis done with the doctor, I went to the parking to my car. And to my horrors, the car’s window panes were broken, and the girl was nowhere. I looked around, but there was no one.
The degree of my amazement went high up.
I immediately drove to Patel Chowk at a ravishing speed, and started to inquire about the Krishna Orphanage, but there was no such orphanage to be found. Infact, the whole area had not even a single orphanage. The amazement degree went further high up.
I sat back in my car with my head down on the steering wheel, trying to fix things up running through the neurons inside my brain and correlate the things, but all in vain. I didn’t draw anything out.
“Arpit, Arpit. Get up.”, I heard a hoarse voice.
“Arpit. Uth be. Jogging par nahi chalna kya…”, I got up. I looked around. I had been dreaming. I looked at my table clock. It was 6 am. My room partner was calling me, for the morning jog.
I quickly brushed, answered the call of the nature and got ready in the track suit.
We left for our morning task, but I was constantly thinking about my dream.

9 comments:

pankajs said...

that was a gripping tale..very well started...but the end came too quick!..i wanted to read more of it..the subject was very good and enticing..., has the ability to captivate any reader...., the only thing thas a bit disappointing is its short length...i really wanted to read more of it,

Raj said...

hey it was a nice story..
u shud expand it!..
anyways i really appreciate you.

Arpit Gaur said...

thanks pankaj n rajesh for ur reviews... i'll definitely give it a consideration

pankajs said...

hmmm. it feels better now..,, can imagine ur shock when u have woken up!

Arpit Gaur said...

yeah... uthne ke 5 minutes tak to i kept thinking ki hua kya hai xactly....

Anonymous said...

hats off to u man!!!!

Anonymous said...

gud beginning but an abrupt end....may b d gal as mysterious as katrina kaif in d movie "HELLO"...

priya..

Unknown said...

gud beginning but an abrupt end....may b d gal as mysterious as katrina kaif in d movie "HELLO"...

Pradeep Kaushal said...

Sir sleep again and dream for next. I must have a good ending..

Really this is a fantabulous creation. . I appreciate it from heart